Quick Links

Low End Mac
LEMblog
Share on Facebook

FYI, in addition to publishing Low End Mac and doing some Mac consulting, I'm working a third shift job 2 to 4 nights a week, so replying to emails and phone calls may take some time.


Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dead End with Damaged Word Files

Frustrating. Someone wondered if I could recover some corrupt Word files, so I said, "Send me one, I'll see what I can do." Text recovery I could have done, but no luck with images in the document, which was important to him.

Frustrating thing is, there are a host of Word document recovery utilities for Windows - so many that you'd think this might be a common problem. If I had a Windows machine, I could have helped. One more plus for Intel-based Macs, but I'm not there yet.

The client with the dial-up notification problem downgraded to 10.4.4 and the problem went away. Upgraded to 10.4.11, and it was back. I'll be mailing him a disc with all of the OS X 10.4 updaters, since he's on dial-up and downloading them can take forever.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan,

    Leaman here...try OpenOffice if you haven't already. I have had a lot of luck recovering full Word docs and (especially) "corrupt" Excel files.

    Open it up OpenOffice and then export to .doc or .xls with a new filename. Has saved many supposedly lost files in my experience.

    ReplyDelete